Monday, November 14, 2011

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pancakes

Pancake breakfasts on Saturday mornings are starting to become a tradition around here. My two year old loves to help me make pancakes and would eat them for breakfast everyday if I would let her. (Of course I don't, although it's tempting because I love them as well!) I love trying different pancake recipes and I figured pumpkin pancakes would be a perfect breakfast for a beautiful fall morning. Pumpkin is so good for you and I also used whole wheat flour to make them even healthier. Of course in order to make sure my daughter would eat these "healthy" pancakes I threw in some chocolate chips. The flavors of pumpkin and chocolate are a match made in heaven!



These were so good and a nice change from regular pancakes. The whole wheat flour does give them a different texture and taste so if you are not a fan of it then just use all purpose flour. Or you can use half of each to give them less of a wheat texture.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pancakes

1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup of buttermilk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup of pure pumpkin
1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 chocolate chips

Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center of the mixture and set aside.
Combine the milk and egg and mix well. Add the pumpkin and stir until blended. Finally add the melted butter and stir again until well blended.
Add the egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).




Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto a hot lightly greased skillet. I just use my measuring cup to scoop the batter out and pour on the skillet. Place the chocolate chips on the pancake. You can use as many as desired! I use about 6-7 per pancake but depending on your love for chocolate you may want to use more or less! Cook until bubbles form on the top of the pancake and the bottom is golden brown and then flip and cook on the other side. Do not flip more than once!! You never want to overflip a pancake!


Serve these little pumpkin babies warm with hot maple syrup and watch them quickly disappear!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment